- La Patrie Collection 2018 Reviews
- Dean Vendetta XMT 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
- Recording King ROS-616 Review of 2018
Guild OM-140CE A perfect throwback
OM-140CE bu Guild is a part of Guild’s Westerly collection. This is a mid-sized orchestra shaped guitar that is perfect for both strumming and fingerpicking.
Design of OM-140CE by Guild
This Westerly collection of Guild features all solid wood and their arch-backed design. The “OM” specifies the orchestra type body shape of the collection whereas “CE” gives an idea about the cutaway and electronics onboard. Guild OM-140CE is made of solid Sitka spruce while the sides are of solid African mahogany.
In this model, the Scalloped Sitka spruce is used for the X-bracing. The top of the instrument has a border of Ivory ABS binding with black/ivory/black/ivory purfling.
Its design structure includes a C-shaped mahogany neck. Furthermore, it is topped with an Indian rosewood fingerboard with 16” radius while a single action truss rod maintains the trueness of the neck. Its 20 fret inlay ca easily be navigated by Mother of pearl dot inlays. OM-140CE also includes a bone nut of 44.5mm (1-3/4”) width. The scale length of Guild OM-140CE is 648mm (25-1/2”).
This guitar has an Indian rosewood made bridge which is compensated with bone saddle. The polyurethane finish of the instrument is being protected by a vintage style tortoise pickguard.
Guild OM-140CE Features
- Acoustic-electric guitar that’s well suited for performance
- top with Solid Sitka spruce is clear and powerful
- Its back and sides are of Solid mahogany which adds a richness in the midrange
- Fishman Sonitone pickup gives natural sound and discreet
- Bone nut and saddle efficiently transfer the string’s energy
- 1.75″ nut width of 1.75″
- Also, includes lightweight Guild case
Guild OM-140CE Performance
The overall bright sound with a nice warm undertone creates a charming voice. Furthermore, the design of the guitar holds a nice setup with a neck that feels very good. This model guitar is very good at producing a very sweet and balanced tone.
In terms of preamps, the Fishman’s Sonitone preamp is not the best one. It does not allow much in tone shaping as it has only a volume and tone control. One of the most important problems of the Sonitone system is the battery which is present inside the body of the guitar. Hence without removing the strings changing of the battery is not possible. The amplified sound is also not as good as acoustic sound.
- It produces a charming voice which is bright with warm undertones
- Its setup includes a very playable neck
- OM-140E by Guild gives a vintage vibe
- The charm of the acoustic sound is lost while it is plugged in
- To keep the illusion throwback vibe uses less than stellar parts
The Guild OM-140CE charm is very unique. Despite the mediocre electronics hampers the great sound of the guitar, it plays and sounds very well. Few more modern touches are possible in this model of Guild.